When I started running, it was to conquer the obstacle of being unable to run much at all (I could run ~1mi but that was about it) and build a little endurance. It felt like a good goal — something that would push me while still being achievable. But then I found Dolphin South End Runners. Joining a running club changed me profoundly.
Why Marathon?
After running 10k a few times I decided I should try to run a marathon.
But why?
There’s not really any main reason for why I’d want to build up my mileage to the point where I could endure a marathon but there are a number that added to the point where accomplishing this became my focus.
Reasons I’m training to run a marathon
- Training requires discipline - a trait I’d like to improve upon.
- I want to lose body fat and get more physically fit (more on that in future posts)
- I love the zone I get into about a half mile into a run and I’d like to extend that for longer periods.
- My mind feels awake and ready for anything after running — I want to pursue something that encourages me to run more.
- Marathons sound like an incredible way to experience new places — I’m already eyeing a number of marathons in Europe that are inspiring me to stay the course
- To know I can do it.
- To eventually BQ (qualify for the Boston Marathon) — ambitious much!?
"What’s the plan, Stan?"
I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel with marathon training.
After a bit of research I honed in on the Hal Higdon Marathon Training plans because of how many positive things I had read. I went with Novice 1 (Google Spreadsheet)
I shifted the days of the week a bit to accommodate my weekly Sunday 5k with DSE. You can view my modified version of the Marathon Training Plan and current progress.
Oh look, it’s Bay to Breakers (7.45 miles)
I wrote earlier about how I was surprised to find myself progressing quickly. I ended up realizing Bay to Breakers was actually something I could handle and was delighted to be healthy enough to run it this year.
The Half Marathon
I realized starting marathon training when I did would sync up perfectly for me to be ready for the San Francisco Half Marathon.
$130 for a half marathon? Is that typical!? When you lay that much $$$ down it means you damn well better stick to your training.
I took out my debit card and registered.
How could I not register after peeping this course?
That’s coming up in about a month and a half. With a start time of 5:30am I decided to reserve a bed in a hostel that’s only a 15 min walk from the starting line so I wouldn’t need to scramble from the Haight in a Lyft even earlier.
The Long training Runs
I’m just starting to scratch the surface of the longer training runs but things are feeling OK so far. I have some discomfort in my right leg near my groin but I’ve been sleeping on a loveseat in a cramped fetal position for nearly two weeks now (startup life) so that might be to blame.


I just reclaimed my air mattress (4 stars + 2,200 reviews on Amazon) that I had been sleeping on since moving to SF so I’m going to see what sleeping like a somewhat normal human doest for these aches and pains.
Okay, back to the training runs.
I’m not a stranger to 10k runs but anything above 6 miles is definitely new to me.
I’m experimenting with pre-run and intra-run fueling / drinking.
So far either an empty stomach or a bagel with peanut butter and banana have seemed to be best for me.
I’ve tried my typical breakfast (4-6 eggs scrambled in 1 tbsp of Kerrygold butter + 1/2 can of black beans + hot sauce) gives me reflux in a pretty awful way.
I also loaded up on GU energy chews when they were on sale for just $9 a box. I’m not a huge fan of artificial stuff like this but I figured at that price I could give them away if I found an all-natural option I preferred. As they suggest I eat one chew 5 minutes before running and another 45 minutes in. I haven’t run more than 1.5 hours so I’ve only ever had two so far. They are chewy, taste meh, but help me salivate a bit. Note that the strawberry ones have caffeine and the watermelon do not.
First time > 10 miles...whoa!
It definitely felt special pushing past the single digit mile mark on the trusty Lake Merced running path (only one spot where you have to cross a driveway but otherwise a completely car-less 4.5 mile loop).
It only took two loops on the path plus a mini loop around the southern dam area to close out my first 10 mile run. There were some aches and pains in the last two miles but luckily it was an overcast day and I didn't have heat as a hinderance.
You got this.

No comments:
Post a Comment